These two signs once marked a canoe and boat building establishment that was active in Maine during the 1940s. Solon is a town in central Maine through which the Kennebec River flows. The Arnold Trail Boats and Canoes company appears in a list of Maine canoe builders from the 1870’s to the present that was compiled by the Penobscot Marine Museum for their 2001 exhibit “Bark to Canvas: The Evolution of a Maine Canoe.” So far, all that we have been able to find out about this company is its location, the era of its existence, and that its owner built canoes.
The larger sign (80.5″ wide x 2″ deep x 32.5″ high) is single-sided, so most likely hung on the front exterior of the shop.
It is painted on a clear-finish birch veneer surface and has a molded frame.
The hand-painted lettering is red with gold outlining.
The smaller (34″ wide x .75″ deep x 11″ high), solid wood sign is double-sided, so it either hung on a post at the roadside or perpendicular to the building at its doorway.
The background is painted gold, and the chamfered edge and lettering are navy blue.
In both signs, the name Arnold Trail is done in the same script lettering.
These signs evoke the history of two distinct time periods. First, they are artifacts of an earlier period of commercial canoe building in Maine which began in the late 1880s. Most likely the canoes made at the Arnold Trail Boats & Canoes shop were crafted of wood and canvas in a traditional Maine design. A classic Maine trip canoe, such as the one made by the E. M. White company pictured below, is characterized by its wide, shallow hull making a stable and large capacity interior suitable for holding packs and paddlers on long canoe trips.